Saturday, October 26, 2013

10 Snappy Comebacks to Silly Statements: Help for Parents of Autistic Kids

10 Snappy Comebacks to Statements Made About Autistic Children

Grin and bear it!

Some times you just have to grit your teeth and smile!
Some times you just have to grit your teeth and smile!
Parenting an autistic child can be extremely stressful. But a lot of people make it worse because they still don’t “get” autism and say things that will make you feel like smacking them alongside their head.
I have written a list snappy comebacks I am tempted to use in response to these people but haven’t…. yet.
Someday I may just snap and I am going to figuratively smack these people across the face with snappy comebacks to their silly statements.
1. He doesn’t LOOK autistic…
Snappy comeback #1: It's the way we dress him that hides it.
Snappy comeback #2: You don't look ignorant, but here we are...
2. If it were MY child, he wouldn’t act like that.
Snappy comeback: "I didn't realize you had a degree in child psychiatry"
3. He doesn’t act like that when he’s with me.
Snappy comeback: Wonderful! How about you take him for a week or two and see what happens?
4. Autism wasn’t around when I was a kid.
Snappy comeback: Neither were velociraptors but that doesn’t mean neither existed,
5. Autism is being over-diagnosed right now.
Snappy comeback: That’s a relief. My child’s doctors, teachers, child-care providers, and behavioral and speech therapists are probably just looking for an easy answer to a behavioral problem.

Autism and discipline

One very disheartening aspect of parenting an autistic child is the blame heaped on you  by other people accusing you of being too permissive. Please, if you haven't walked in my shoes, don't judge me.
One very disheartening aspect of parenting an autistic child is the blame heaped on you by other people accusing you of being too permissive. Please, if you haven't walked in my shoes, don't judge me.
6. He just needs more structure.
Snappy comeback: Slap your forehead and say "Well, bless your heart….Why didn't I think of that."
7. What is HIS problem?
Snappy comeback: His problem is people sticking their noses into other's business.
8. If that were MY child acting like that, I would spank his butt.
Snappy comeback #1: I’ll look the person up and down and say, “I’m sure you would.”
Snappy comeback #2: I may try that since the cattle prods didn’t work.
9. My friend’s child was cured of autism by following a special diet.
Snappy comeback: And to think scientists haven’t been able to replicate this in studies. It must be a conspiracy by the pharmaceutical industry!
10. Just ignore his behavior and it will go away. Meltdowns are just a way of getting attention.
Snappy comeback: If I ignore you, will you just go away?

Okay. I probably will not say these things because I try to never hurt someone’s feelings. Sometimes people say these things because they are trying to be helpful, because they have not dealt with an autistic child, or because they are just a judgmental poophead. I will give them the benefit of the doubt - the first time.
Have wonderful day.

The humorous side of Aspergers

A must read for parent and caregivers of autistic children.

If you have a child who is newly diagnosed as autistic, or just need a book to help family members understand your child, 10 Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew.
This book not only helped me with understanding my son, it also gave me strategies for helping him.
I highly recommend it for educators and friends as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment