Monday, October 28, 2013

Autism Medication and My Son: Intuniv and Concerta

Like many other children with  high-functioning autism, my son also has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and requires medication.
y Champlax (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
Vyvanse Capsules
Image by Champlax CC-BY-SA-3.0

Intuniv

The summer before my son entered kindergarten, it became apparent that in order to succeed in a regular school setting, my son would need medication. In daycare he was unable to sit still and he couldn't focus on tasks unless he was doing an activity he liked such as playing with cars or blocks.

The doctor recommended that we start my son on the lowest dose of the blood pressure medicine Intuniv. In clinical trials, many autistic children  showed improvement in attentiveness. After a few weeks on the Intuniv, my son did show a little improvement in his ability to focus.

My son started kindergarten in a mainstream classroom a few months later and immediately the teacher had problems getting my son to focus. After repeated attempts by the teacher to get my son to participate in activities, he would have a meltdown and I would be summoned to school to get him. North Carolina does put much emphasis on funding its schools, and the poor teacher had no assistance from qualified special-ed teachers. She had her hands full with the other 24 children in the classroom.

Concerta

After another call to the doctor, my son's Intuniv  dose was increased, but it had little effect. Three months into the school year, the Intuniv was stopped and my son was prescribed Concerta, a stimulant used  for ADHD.  The change in my son was dramatic - he became very quiet and was able to focus and sit still for long periods of time. It did make me sad to see my son so solemn and quiet - but it was also a relief to have a break from the boy who could not sit still unless he was stimming with his toys.

Concerta side effects

Concerta did have two unwanted side effects - appetite loss and throat clearing. My son was born skinny and has stayed skinny. He would eat first thing in the morning, but after the Concerta took effect, he would not be interested in eating until the evening. He initially lost a pound or two, but by letting him eat whenever he wanted, he stabilized and lost no more weight - but he also never gained any in the year he was on Concerta.

The throat clearing started within a month of starting the Concerta. I hoped it was temporary, but it continued the entire time he was on the medication.

No help for his anger

The Concerta had no effect on his anger or meltdowns. He was always prone to self-destructive behavior such as head-banging and slapping himself, and he frequently went into rages at home over minor annoyances. Toys were thrown, stomped on and otherwise destroyed. Furniture in his room was marred and tipped over.  If he ran into a wall he would rage at the "stupid wall" that was trying to hurt him.

Although my son could now sit still at school, he ultimately failed kindergarten.

My next post will discuss Vyvanse, clonidine, and risperidone.

No comments:

Post a Comment